10 Ways to Keep Our Oceans Clean | Author: GoGreenMug
The Rockwater race that took place this Saturday, March 21, 2009, is an annual race from mountain to ocean to raise awareness about the watershed. The race is organized by Surfrider Newport Beach Chapter.
So what is a watershed and why do we need to raise awareness?
A watershed is any river, gully, canyon or pathway that drains to the ocean. Watersheds are everywhere and anything on land can find its way to the ocean via a watershed. This means that if you throw something on the ground it may eventually end up in the ocean. Drop a cigarette butt or plastic fork, and it will end up in the ocean, on our beaches, or in the stomach of a fish, sea bird or other marine animal.
It's up to you to make the right choices and protect our watersheds, oceans, beaches and marine life. Here are 10 ways you can help:
- Always pick up your pet's waste. If you have ever swum in the ocean after heavy rains you will know why.
- Rake up and discard yard clippings. Do not let them get washed away with the next rains.
- Always dispose of your cigarette butts properly. Cigarette butts leach dangerous chemicals when they are exposed to water. And contrary to popular belief they are not biodegradable.
- Do not use a hose to water down your driveway. This wastes a lot of water and also drains the oil and other pollutants from our cars into the watershed. Use a broom instead.
- Plant native and if necessary drought resistant plants. This will reduce the soil run off.
- Always dispose of motor oil properly at an approved collection and recycling facility.
- Join in at beach clean ups or pick up trash whenever you can and dispose of it properly.
- Excess fertilizer is often washed away into the watershed with watering or rain. Reduce the amount of fertilizer you use.
- Reduce the amount of single-use plastic. Use reusable shopping bags for your groceries. Do not buy bottled water.
- Get a personalized travel mug and remember to bring it with you whenever you visit a coffee shop. Do not use a disposable coffee cup, plastic coffee cup lid or cardboard sleeve. This is all waste!
The team from http://www.gogreenmug.com completed the 28.8 mile Rockwater run/walk/bike/skateboard race down the Santa Ana River from the trail head at the border of Orange County and Riverside to the Ocean in Huntington Beach in just over 4 hours and 10 minutes.
Next year we will be back to race again. Why don't you plan to put a team together to challenge us?
About the Author
GoGreenMug was created to help reduce the waste at coffee shops. Every year billions of paper and polystyrene coffee cups are thrown out along with their plastic lids. At http://www.GoGreenMug.com enviromentally friendly customers can personalize a travel mug with uploaded photos, texts and quotes. Use the mug at coffee shops to help reduce the waste and in many cases get discounts.
Article Source: http://www.articlesbase.com/environment-articles/10-ways-to-keep-our-oceans-clean-830180.html